The process of planning for studying abroad is lenghty so you should start preparing for a study abroad experience a year in advance! Contact your CampusFrance agent as soon as possible to get more information.
  1. Get useful information about French postsecondary studies

- Uniqueness of post-secondary studies in France

- Various education opportunities in France (Exchanges, full programs, French courses, programs taught in English, joint diplomas, joint thesis, Erasmus Mundus…)

- Videos of French post-secondary institutions


2. Submit your application

To enroll in a graduate program and earn a French degree:

-Follow the DAP procedure if you want to enrol in a 1st or a 2nd year of post-secondary studies at a university or if you wish to enrol in a national school of architecture.

You must obtain a file, fill it out and submit it between the December 1 and January 31

-If you wish to enroll in an other programs (a Master’s program, a PhD, a DUT, a BTS, a business school, an engineering school, a summer program or French courses), you will need to follow the instructions provided by the program in question.


Procedures and deadlines may change depending on the institution or program.  Please ask your university to learn how to proceed.

To register for an academic exchange:

If you are leaving within the framework of an exchange, you simply have to apply for a visa.

To enroll in a joint PhD degree program

Ask your university directly about how to enrol in a joint PhD program.

Your cotutelle agreement should specify the schedule of your study stays in each country.  The schedule is usually determined at the beginning of the first year of doctoral studies but it can be modified later.

3.  Get all the necessary information about how to finance your studies



-working while studying


4.  Look for housing

At least one month before leaving

        -Finding a place to live  

       -University residences

-Other student residences

-Renting on the private housing market

-Finding a place to live for a short stays

-Housing assistance for students

-The House of Canadian students


5.  Apply for a visa


Ontario and Manitoba students

British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Yukon and Northwest Territories students

New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Quebec, Nunavut, Prince Edward Island students


        6.  Plan your budget    

Cost of living in France